DSP Recognition Week: Sept. 13-19, 2020
on Sunday, September 13, 2020
Each year we take one week to celebrate and recognize our outstanding Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) and others like them throughout the world.
While we can certainly promise you this year looks entirely different than previous years, we know much remains the same.
In 2020, when talk of the COVID-19 virus became spread within our community, our Direct Support Professionals once again proved their commitment in ways we never knew possible. Not only did they continue to show up to work during a pandemic, but some of them even stayed at work - some in quarantine with persons served for as long as 20 days and nights straight.
Our Direct Support Professionals again proved their ability to be strong advocates - some having to drive the people they support to receive emergency care the DSP knew they needed. We all know during this time, it has been hard to get into a doctor.
Our DSPs have yet again proved they are compassionate - some lending their shoulder to cry on after losing a decades old friend to COVID-19. They began wearing their face coverings within the home and some continue to wear them off the clock, to better protect the vulnerable population that we serve.
Our DSPs have again proved they are fearless - when the majority of the world stopped or worked from home, these essential employees continued. Some even entering COVID-19 positive homes. They took on multiple changes to our protocols and did so effortlessly.
Our direct service staff have again proved they are creative - whether explaining the importance of social distancing and mask wearing or coming up with new daily routines when their day habilitation programs closed and they still needed to stay active.
Our DSPs have again proved they are team players - through and through! Our staff have stayed positive, worked together, and covered for each other in the middle of a pandemic. Need we say more?
Lastly, our appreciation for our staff has not dissipated in the slightest bit but instead, grown drastically. We literally could not do it without these amazing staff and are so thankful to have them with us as we walk together through these uncharted territories.
Special shout outs...
- Kim Bumgardner-Bergman for quarantining with persons served for 17 days.
- Kerrie Burroughs quarantined with persons served for 10 days.
- Eyleen Estrada quarantined with persons served for 12 days.
- Bobbie-Joe Kattelman for quarantining with persons served for 17 days.
- Reece Thurmond quarantined with persons served for 14 days.
- Bradon Trimble for quarantining with persons served for 14 days.
- Jason Yaunk for quarantining with persons served for 20 days.
- To all Direct Support Professionals who stepped forward volunteering to quarantine with COVID-19 positive homes or for potential COVID-19 exposure homes.
- To all Direct Support Professionals who have accepted and implemented various state/CDC mandated protocol changes effortlessly and efficiently.
Your dedication and perseverance has not gone unnoticed.