Does EPI conduct background checks as a part of the hiring process?
We recognize the importance of supporting all the needs of the people we serve, including their personal safety and security. While the licensing regulations for the agency require screening and background checks, we consider it essential to the integrity of the agency. Depending upon position, we conduct the following post offer background checks:
- Criminal History
- Sexual Offender
- Child and Dependent Adult Abuse
- Medicare/Medicaid Exclusions
- Out-of-State checks for candidates who have lived outside Iowa
- Motor Vehicle Records
A hit on the background check does not eliminate you from consideration from employment at EPI. If a hit comes back on your background check, we will contact you and your record and additional information concerning the incident(s) will be submitted to DHS for further review.
Maximum violation standards for driving records are as follows:
- No more than three violations in the most recent three year period OR
- No more than two ticketed accidents in the most recent three year period OR
- A combination of ticketed accidents and/or other violations exceeding no more than three in the most recent three-year period.
No serious violations within the most recent three-year period.
Serious violations include:
- Operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- Driver’s license revoked or suspended for any type of violation (not a health condition).
- Driving while license is suspended or revoked, regardless of reason license was suspended or revoked.
- Hit and run.
- Failure to report an accident.
- Negligent homicide using a motor vehicle.
- Using a motor vehicle for the commission of a felony.
- Operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s authority (grand theft)
- Permitting an unlicensed person to drive.
- Reckless driving.
- Illegal passing of a school bus.
- Any applicable updates in the Iowa Department of Transportation code.