Advocacy & Counseling (MS)
Multiple Sclerosis Services provides support services for people affected by multiple sclerosis who live in Black Hawk, Bremer, Butler, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Grundy and Tama Counties of Iowa. Services are offered free of charge. Contact us for more information.
- Counseling is provided for individuals diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and/or their family members to address the many and continuing emotional and practical issues which arise with the diagnosis and progression of symptoms.
- Monthly support group meetings offer an opportunity for individuals and their family members to share their concerns and experiences as they go through the emotional adjustment process of adapting to life with a chronic, progressive illness. Four support groups are held monthly in locations throughout the seven-county area covered by the Multiple Sclerosis Services.
- Make referrals to and coordinates with health and human service agencies.
- Provides assistance with applications to develop long-term financial resources (Ex: Social Security Disability Insurance, specialized health insurance programs, waiver applications to fund in-home health care services).
- Acts as liaison with health care providers.
- Supports continued employment by acting as a liaison between employees with multiple sclerosis and their employers.
- Provides assistance accessing adaptive medical equipment.
- Provides funding for the purchase and/or repair of adaptive medical equipment for individuals who have no other funding source.